SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

If we go with the heavier plate and that's all we can get in 5052, then the hull will be closer to 100 lbs. and I estimate another 35 lbs. for the seats and seat frames, side deck, outrigger for the oars, breast hook and fanny hook. I have not estimated the weight of the backbone yet. But I have already used some ideas to reduce seat and seat framing weight and I did not include those weight savings tricks in my weights here. I was trying to be conservative.

Then there is the weight of the oars and rowlocks. Me, 225 lbs., Violet 25 lbs., Ruby 50 lbs.. I am looking right now at designing to a dwl load displ of 500 lb..

I am not figuring on a sailing rig but it could be done. It would probably almost double the cost. I'm talking to Jim Betts about building it and he should have a cost in a few days.

That hull image is a rough cut,i.e. a first try at working within the confines of the geometric process for the origami method. Changes will certainly come. It can only get better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobperry; 10-03-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook