SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"That hull image is a rough cut,i.e. a first try at working within the confines of the geometric process for the origami method. Changes will certainly come. It can only get better."

"Jeff:
As now drawn I have made allowances for frames at each of the three seats with two frames at the rowing thwart amidships. This leaves the biggest unsupported span at only 36". For nesting the skiff would break right at the forward side of the rowing thwart. It looks like plenty of framing to me."
Your first rough cuts sure look a whole lot better than mine. Humm..I can't imagine why. I'll be interested in seeing the lines drawings as she develops. Rowing craft are always such a balancing act between wetted surface and stability.

My sense is that if you had the framing you mention along with a keelson, breasthooks, and some kind of shelf at the gunnel, that should be all the framing that you need. The nice thing is that if you built her and found her springy you could always add a few transverse floor frames.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook