SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Oh yeah, I guess I should warn you:
This is not a simple Brent style one seam cut origami hull. This is "advanced origami" with three longitudinal cuts per side and two vertical cuts per side. The longl. cuts are quite a bit longer than Brent's. They go to just short of the ends. I just can't get enough control of the shape with one cut. It's more welding work but more control. I am determined not to let the method dictate the shape.
I had seen that you were using more gores in the sheets. I see the decision to add a bit more welding as one of those client driven parameters. You could build a flat bottom dory style hull with less cutting and welding, but given the client's need for an elegant design, I doubt that the client would be happy. My sense is that there just in not all that much welding time on a boat like this so doubling it is not the end of the world.

In my mind, the cutting and welding is probably but a couple days extra, but an elegant boat is forever.

Quote:
But I have it "smashed out", i.e. unfolded so it can all be cut from one flat sheet per side. It looks really strange flattened out.

I could post the smashed version but I'm not sure I want to give away all my treasure yet. I'd hate to have someone run off and start cutting while we are still playng with the basic design.
I don't see any point in posting the 'smashed version' but I would get a kick out of seeing a lines drawings at some point. After seeing the strange shapes which emerged after spiling planking for a lapstrake boat, I can only imagine what the 'smashed flat' shapes must look like.

Quote:
.Right now I have 4" wide "side decks". They could be 3". I thought 4" looked better but it's more weight.

I'm not going to post many images until it's all stitched up. No point in defending preliminary design work. I have to let drawings sit and "mature" a bit before I am ready to send them out in public. Sometimes I get up in the morning, look at what I drew the previous afternoon and I think, "Did I really draw that?"
You are probably ahead of me on this but it could look nice (but more labor intensive) if the side decks had a little spring in plan so they were perhaps 4" at the breastplates and tapered amidships down to something narrower. I know that is backward structurally and in terms of weight distribution, but it sure looks more elegant.

I understand entirely about not releasing preliminary drawings before thier time. It why I always had a tack board and a worrying chair. Since I was an amateur, as I wrested with differences in hull forms I used to build used to build small models with each hull form and carry them in my pocket over a period of time, pulling them out and mulling whenever I had an idle moment.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook