SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

My complaint is that composting heads simply aren't doing any composting, and if the folks who make a product need to misrepresent it in order to sell it...I don't want any part of it.

Sell 'em as "waterless heads" or "dessicating heads" or whatever, and let the customers know up front that they are NOT going to make nice harmless beneficial compost in any way at any time, and I wouldn't object.

But these heads produce sewage, not compost. And sewage brings sanitary risks. And since there are no conventions or standards for getting the "dry" sewage into the sanitary sewage system...I can see that being problematic. After all, Typhoid Mary knew she wasn't the problem.

As to the feces from baby diapers, I'd have to expect that an infant has a fairly low risk of passing on typhoid or polio or other infectious diseases, simply because they haven't been on the planet long enough to be exposed to most of these problems. As opposed to adult feces, where the donor has had many years in which to be exposed to many risks from many partners. Likewise, dogs and cats simply don't carry the same diseases that humans do.

No, I think I want a genset and an Incinolet. If I'm going to use a bucket and bags...I can use a bucket and bags. That's called a commode, and no one pretends it makes nice tasty beneficial compost.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook