SailNet Community - View Single Post - I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida

It's a huge undo strain on a vessel to try and have it pulled off aground at a falling tide. I'm all for towing insurance, but I don't use it for grounding unless I'm pounding on a lee shore! You can use the ICW with an 8' draft, but you will need to time the shallow places Lockwood's Folly & Shallote Inlets, Jekyll Island.... at mid and rising tides. I would not travel at the high tides in any risky areas,- maybe not at all without experiene. We're now southbound on the ICW on our 23rd passage along the US East Coast. We saw 7' at low tide in several places today from the Cape Fear River to Myrtle Beach. If you have reliable diesels, then the offshore hops might suit you well. Up the Delaware and down the Chesapeake through the Virgina cut and on to Beaufort, NC can be easy with 8'. Then, hops to Charlestown, Savannah (cut to Hilton Head via Calliboague Sound) and then Jacksonville. South of Jacksonvile with 8' can be easy as long as you time the mid and rising tides at Matanzas Inlet and Ponce Inlet. Look at the Westland DIY Yard in Titusville for a good possible palce to finish your work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 10-03-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook