SailNet Community - View Single Post - Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

[QUOTE=Delezynski;1098027]Britt,

I thought that might be what you were saying.

I remember reading about a couple who went out with the plan to spend a year or more just sailing, no destination. I don't think it ended well.....
AND, they had a large boat.

We looked at the wetsnail 28 before we went with the Nor'Sea. We liked the layout in the Nor'Sea better. BOTH would work!

We know what you are saying about “STUFF”! We still have a lot of stuff. Things we just could not part with, like 2 motorcycles, antiques and photos. We had it in one of those pack it yourself portable storage boxes. We paid for the storage by the year and got a good deal. Had to think outside the box to make it happen...

Greg

Makes sense to me. And I agree, I am not fond of the wetsnail layout just there reputation for surviving everything out there. Nor sea?/...never seen one in person got to check em out. Thanks Greg.

For one the bigger the boat the harder to control short handed. Now this is assuming that the vessel is capable of the task she has been assigned, The point being a large bluewater boat is a serious handful single handed in a storm. While I have zero experience with sailboats I do have copious small boat experience up to 42 feet and the bigger they are the more work they are. I have a little less than 18 foot tin boat custom built for me by Wooldridge boats, the people that invented jet outboards, that has proven to be simply amazing. Up until this boat I would under no conditions have ever went offshore in anything under 27 feet. I have used that little guy to cross the bar at Winchester bay and coos bay Oregon many many times in the two years since she was born. I guess if one has the skill, experience, and desire he can beat the odds more often than not....I must admit though size is nice in open water.
Britt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook