SailNet Community - View Single Post - I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida

You can make pretty easy hops on the outside using only good safe entrances, most of the way.
I know a few people who sail south each fall, using mainly east or west winds, waiting out the weather when necessary.
Stay away from the small inlets and go for places with ship channels and you should find a marina or anchorage to wait out the weather.
I loved the ICW when it was dredged, absolutely one of the greatest trips on earth. Now, you'll have to get your advice from those using it since Bush jr took office.
I'd put my money on tow assistance any way you go, if there's the slightest possibility an engine might die; cheap at twice the price.
You might consider places other than Fla, their tax thing is pretty hefty; SC and Ga might be a cheaper bet.
I also would recommend having several suitable anchors and plenty of chain and lots of line aboard.
Good luck, I hope you don't have to sell your boat.