SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tea Tree Oil Recipe
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Tea Tree Oil Recipe

For those attempting a home brew, I think the gel nature of the product is probably misleading some. From intuition, I'm thinking that tea tree oil itself won't just evaporate well and disperse all on its own. Otherwise, just leave a tin of it out and we're all set. It must require a dispersant that both mixes with the oil and evaporates at room temperature. Not too fast, but not too slow. The gel nature is likely the result of emulsifying those ingredients to keep them combined. While gelatin will solidify the mixture, I don't think that's the actual goal. Further, while it may give off tea tree oil odor, suggesting some evaporation, I would think gelatin will be more effective in retaining the oil than helping to disperse. Who knows, maybe the smallest amount of gelatin helps retain the emulsification and accounts for the pea sized remaining nugget in Kanberra. Although, I should say that in areas of higher air movement, ever bit of Kanberra evaporates. Only where air is still do I get the remaining pea.

Additionally, I suspect the quality and grade of oil matters. I can buy two different jalepenos, one will burn and the other won't. Depending on the source, one batch of home brew may work, while the next doesn't.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear how these recipes work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook