SailNet Community - View Single Post - Frequency of Changing Oil & Fuel Filters
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Frequency of Changing Oil & Fuel Filters

I also have a 1GM and put similarly low hours on it. I change in the fall. As others have pointed out, this means it sits with fresh new oil all winter.

While on this subject, how often do people check their oil?

I've met a few people who check their oil every trip to the boat. This doesn't make sense to me for a few reasons. First, it's a difficult and slightly risky procedure. Dirt/grime can fall in through the dipstick hole and I've dropped the stick in the bilge once (which is 3' deep in my case. That mistake lead to the purchase of one of those lighted grabber things).

Second, the oil alarm sounds (and then shuts off) every time I turn the key (and I always wait to here the oil alarm buzz after killing the engine before turning the key off). So on my boat I consider it one of the most trusted devices.

In an ideal world I'd probably inspect all sorts of things - chainplates, rigging etc every time. But given that I like to go sailing and dislike contorting myself to align a hidden stick through a hidden hole in my engine, I think it's reasonable to skip this step. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by asdf38; 10-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook