SailNet Community - View Single Post - repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
thanks for the input. I should have climbed up the mast before I bought it but I asked the previous owner and he looked me in the eyes and said no rot and that he paints them every year. I'm kinda freaking out as we spend more on this boat, don't have much left for fixing things, as we thought it was good to go. I'm not sure if I can remove those cables for the ladders. The top of the spreaders has 1/2" or so hole cut for the cables to go through. Those ladder cables are going to cause problems. The ladders look like they are held on with aluminum rivets though and not SS bolts.

Would I be able to epoxy them this year? The catalina direct spreader kit is over $500 and I have to unstep the mast. have been trying to find used spreaders or a way to make my own.
Injecting epoxy into rotted wood will not add strength - don't wast money and time on this.

Since you now have verified that you
a) Don't know the status of the rig
b) Can't trust the PO's abilities as rigger

I would pull the mast for a thorough inspection and repairs before haul out and use the winter to perform this task.

Have you seen this site Best Upgrades

With regards to you mast steps..
I have never seen anything like this, what's the purpose of these wires?
to secure the steps or just to keep halyards from getting tangled in the steps?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook