SailNet Community - View Single Post - I Think I Found The Right Boat
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: I Think I Found The Right Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willin' View Post
I remember my first boat purchase, an aged wooden H28 ketch. Seller wanted $7K. After diving on it and taking a test sail I offered $5k thinking it would take another $5K to get it to where I would be comfy/ proud to sail her (that's 100% to make it seaworthy, but what the hey, I like LFH's designs).

After the test sail, my wife went ashore and babysat the seller's young son while we dickered. We reached an accord and ran to the bank to close the deal before COB, then wifey and I went back to consummate the boat purchase on board.

Afterward, she said to me the kid had told her that the seller's wife told him not to come home if he hadn't sold the boat.

I gently asked her if she didn't think that would have been a good thing to tell me "before we closed the freakin' deal"?

I could have had that boat for $50 had I known.

Moral... If it's not your dream boat, you are in control. Go low and be prepared to walk away if you can't come to terms... and leave the wife at home.
you could have but that would be stealing. You paid a fair price and will have a fine boat you can enjoy for years then sell it likely for a good price and move on
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook