SailNet Community - View Single Post - repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
I'm looking at JSI aluminum spreaders. I know from looking at receipts that the stays and shrouds was replaced by the original owner between 1999 and 2002 to (S-2 quality)
The wires are still more than 10 years old.
I would at least do a thorough rig inspection - it can be done from a bosuns chair with the mast up.
Loosing the mast will cost you much more than fixing it up front..
Quote:
the steps were installed 1995 and included "anti foul halyard kits" which I am guessing are the cables. They did not look load bearing when I looked at them. so I can remove sections near the spreaders.
If it was my boat I would have ripped those mast steps off...
If you decide to keep them with the "anti foul halyard kits" installed you should look at another way to solve the attachment.
Seems a bad idea to drill large holes through the new spreaders.

Quote:
I'm going to price to have the mast stepped down. I read you can replace one spreader at a time but I have to mail the old ones in to get new ones. Can't do that with the mast up.
Where I keep the boat we have a mast crane that can be used by members of the club who have done the training class for mast crane operation.
So for me the cost of taking the mast off/on = 0$

It's not difficult to take the mast down if you have access to a suitable crane.
You can get lots of useful info here http://www.seldenmast.com/_download....=595-540-E.pdf
Most of this applies to all masts even if this is from Selden
Quote:
Really bad timing as I was putting funds for taking the mast down in a year or two to repaint. If I take it down this year I won't have all the funds.
As I already said - having the mast come down is even more costly (and dangerous).

If money is an issue I would have considered to make new spreader(s) in wood (if I could get hold of materials at a reasonable cost).

Are you mast keel or deck stepped?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook