SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Wow ... now I'm jealous. Your boat sounds more impressive than my house on shore. Want some more visitors .
I hope you realize, I wasn't showing off, but making a point that non-sailors compare our accommodations to their shore experience.

Quote:
Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone to go compost over standard.
Nor am I the opposite. Just insuring that all points are considered.

Quote:
TP goes into the head. Paper composts just fine
That's great, but as we've discussed, it doesn't actually compost in the short period of time. Some users require TP goes in a bag. Yuk.

Quote:
Skid marks? Same as a normal marine head. You skid it, you clean it.
Not exactly. Skids in a water flush often take care of themselves, particularly if you lubricate the bowl with a quick flush of water before you sit. If not, you use a brush and flush to clean both. Exactly how do you clean the skid from the composter?

Quote:
I can't really comment on your concerns about "delicate" visitors. Seriously Minn ... who are these people? I guess we just move in very different circles.
I'm sure that isn't true. People are people. I'm not saying its everyone, but its just not uncommon.

Quote:
Wouldn't they be equally squeamish knowing their turds were now mixed with urine, floating in a toxic sludge mere feet away?
Not in my experience.

Just the opposite. Non sailors just assume that the waste has left the premises the moment they can't see it any longer. As we know, it needs a lot of chase water to get it all the way to the holding tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 10-05-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook