SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
I better go warn all those Alaskan commercial and sport fishing boats that they are in grave danger! If you eliminate FG recreational boats, aluminum is by far the most common material for midsize boats up here in the most extreme conditions. Lots of large steel ships of course, but aluminum is EVERYWHERE.
I am aware of that and currently own two al boats but I can't help but feel steel may be better in most ways and definitely is for larger boats. I also see a few ancient old woody's still out there working. I've hit stuff with wood fiberglass and aluminum and found the al less likely to be holed but much harder and expensive to repair. Glass and wood will flex nicely takeing up much of the impact while aluminum just crushes.
The bottom line is the boat design and quality of manufacture that is most important. If that wasn't so vessels like the wetsnail 32 would not have achieved such a world wide reputation for getting there crew home while other similar vessel have the opposite reputaqtion
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook