SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cooling pump blues
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2002

sanuni is on a distinguished road
Cooling pump blues

I have a Universal Diesel; I believe 14 hp with a heat exchanger. I have not checked the thermostat, as it “appears” to be the raw water pump. The flexible impellor pump only produces a flow if the pressure side is held below the water level and even then it has VERY little pressure.

I’m not sure if the flow volume is diminished; it trickles (when held below water level) with the engine off, but “flows” well enough through the heat exchanger to keep the engine cool while running as long as the hose is NOT connected to the engine exhaust (or held above the water line).

Water flows freely, when blown or sucked, through both the intake AND the discharge at the pump. And the light flow appears to be the same before and after the heat exchanger.

Yes, it spins with the cover off and the impellor appears to be well seated in the shaft (which is directly geared into the engine…no belts).

Please don’t take anything I’ve said as final as I realize that if everything IS as it APPEARS this pump would be working great :-). Any suggestions are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook