SailNet Community - View Single Post - Legal advice pt. II
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Depends on the license. If your going after a six passenger uninspected operators ticket then you can self document your time. Masters lic. You can't
UNless you own the boat that you served on. A lot has changed since I went through all that but thats how it was done and how it is done for renewls.
It doesnt mater what your title was either as long as you use a deck term like mate, deckhand,navigator,ect just DO NOT put down engineer unless you are gettingan engineers lic. the whole purpose of the lic. is to show that you put in the time and are compitant to be in charge. why would a captain or master need a lic the should already have it to take the name.
I've sighned off on a lot of theses over the years. The other thing that I believe is still true is that the owner or master of the vessle you served on is required to sighn For your time they cannot refuse to if you actually put it in the CG can make them sighn. It was done that way to keep digruntled employers from witholding time in a vendictive way.
If you have a sea school close by call them they make a living sorting all that stuff out and are usually current on the latist and greatest rules and regs that change almost daily and most deffinatly between CG districts call three diffrent districs and you will get three different answers. and if you think your having fun now just wait tell you get to start dealing with Dept of home land security on all the other reqs. Its a PIA
hope this helps
Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 02-05-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook