SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interlux Schooner vs. Sikkens Cetol
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Re: Interlux Schooner vs. Sikkens Cetol

Sorry BL but I disagree on the statement that Cetol was developed to "cut corners". It was develoed to be more durable than varnish. If you improve durability you reduce the need for maintenance, that's that's the pay off. Everything I have read says that varnish needs to be maintained on a six month schedule; especially so in the tropics. I've seen beautiful varnish on one of the teak laden boats at my marina, except that the guy spent every minute of his spare time re-painting it. He'd get to the stern end, 2-3 months would go by and then the blue tape would appear again at the bow. The boat never left the slip (maybe once-twice per year).

similarly cetol does not require as much maintenance if it is not getting direct sun. My dropboards and trim around the companionway need less maintenance also, and they are not beneath a dodger. Just being on a vertical surface and oriented north-south gives enough sun evasion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook