SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Smartphone for Sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Which Smartphone for Sailing

I have tried to search for updated information on sailing apps and adaptability, but much of the information on non-iPhone apps and phones on these forums is old, and the market has jumped ahead in the last year.

So, my question is.... Which smartphone do you prefer for general use while sailing? This includes not only the availability of apps and map programs, but also the ease of use while sailing, screen brightness and limitations in the bright sun on the water, durability on the boat, and adaptability to any on-board electronics you may be connected to.

I have used the iPhone for several years, but with the new OS have found it slow, difficult, and buggy, and an now considering switching to an Android, or even a Windows phone, but don't know what is available for these platforms. I use navigation and charts on my phone as a convenient back up, multiple weather and wind applications, and even compass and race timing apps.

Any suggestions? Happy with your? Unhappy? Tell me why.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook