SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production Boats and the Limits
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
I agree with you, sort of. I suspect that if you took your hunter, closed it up, and just let it bob around in the middle of the Atlantic, you could come back a month later and it would be fine.

But what do you mean by "sailed prudently" that would be required on a modern production boat that wouldn't be required on a traditional offshore vessel?

As far as offshore vessels go, there are differences. People like Jimmy Cornell will argue that he would never go offshore without a protected rudder.

THere are also a host of things like floorboards that don't latch, etc.
I think you're right about the boat being fine if it was simply closed up and just bobbed around in the Atlantic. There are plenty of stories of just that - boats being found floating months or even years after a rescue (or worse, MOB).

What I mean by "sailed prudently" is basically this:

1. Make sure your boat is dry and secure, then test it with off-shore shakedowns, prior to heading out . I've seen several stories now where wet below-decks, or stuff flying around have caused the crew to crater or fully pack it in and call for rescue. The floorboards you mention is a great example. The Yachting Monthly Crash Boat Youtube series is fantastic for getting a sense of what needs to be considered. Simply addressing leaking hatches, or chainplates, or cockpit drainage, or seacock hose clamps, proper safety equipment, proper tools, etc. and like is a very straightforward way to ensure a safe, dry passage. It's not that hard.

2. Carefully choose your weather windows. Sure, there are stretches which will go far beyond a reliable immediate forecast. But weather information is so good these days that if you pay attention to it, you can avoid most all the nasty stuff (see Hal Roth).

3. Be conservative in your decision-making. Actually one of the best examples of this was the Bumfuzzles. Their RTW blog is replete with examples of them deciding to stay put in an area for weeks on end until the conditions were mellow. This worked very well for their level of (in)experience at the time. But it's the epitome of not sailing to a schedule. You go when things are comfortable.

4. Sail the boat you have. Again, the Bumfuzzles are a good example of this. On their cat, they typically had very little sail flying. They probably over-relied on their engines because of this during their run (I'd rather sail), but they never got into serious trouble either. So it's hard to argue that approach. The point here is that your boat will be able to do certain things very well - and other things not so well. For example, if your boat pounds and you get caught in a blow with your destination upwind - why not drop a JSD and hangout for a day or two instead of relentlessly beating into it and breaking stuff? There's rarely a need to push the boat that hard (see Hal Roth).

Beyond that, everyone has their own idea of what's necessary to go off-shore. And with all due respect to Jimmy C - there are lots and lots of boats out there that successfully traverse the world's oceans with wildly unprotected, yet very strong and capable rudders.

So that's basically what I mean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook