SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production Boats and the Limits
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Again, I tend to agree with you. We have a 2000 First 47.7, and it has been through some pretty rough stuff and she takes it with ease. We were even in the Mac Storm.

However, all of those things suggestions that you made apply to any boat.

Can you inspect the chainplates on your Hunter? I remember this 80s Hunter 34 that had steel chainplates bonded in the hull that you couldn't even inspect. Chainplates rust, rig goes down. Ouch. Anyone with a Hunter 34 better get to inspecting their chainplates.
You were in that Mac storm? The one with the ~100 K burst that took out Wingnuts? Holy crap. That thing was nasty. I'd like to hear more about how you guys dealt with it.

You're absolutely right that all these things apply to any boat. And that's kind of my point. The argument that only "traditional 'blue water' boats" belong in blue water is bogus as long as you are prudent and don't sail stupid.

Following that line of logic on out, I believe that even in the rare extreme conditions that finally allow that trad-bw boat to show its perceived merits, you'll likely be just as sick, wet and nervous as you would be on any production boat, or just as calm as you would be on an off-shore tank (e.g. - Sequitur - a Hunter 49 that cruised through an F-10/11 off Cape Horn). It's kind of up to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook