SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanded Unmooring from Windward Berth
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Singlehanded Unmooring from Windward Berth

I've always had mixed results with this one. Maybe there are some better suggestions, so here goes:

I'm without help, tied parallel to a dock with the wind to windward of me (pushing me against the dock). When trying to get away from the dock, Chapmans says to use a forward spring line (line tied to bow cleat & to cleat on dock roughly amidships) and put the engine in forward. The bow will go in toward the dock and the stern should kick out away from the dock. Some reverse action at this point should pull the stern away from the dock some more, the bow should fall off and the boat should be able to pull away stern first.

All this seems to work fine in something like 5 kts, but solo with 15kts is another story. By the time I run 38' forward to cast off the bow line & 38' aft to the wheel, the stern has settled back against the dock again. There must be a better way. Any suggestions?

This has bugged me for some time and it's soooo graceless to keep smacking back up against the dock (not too good for the rubrail either).