Thread: Real Cost
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Real Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider7202 View Post
...I'd love to say pop over to the Mediterranean, down to the Caribbean, just sorta stick to the whole today i'm going thataway type deal. I know costs vary on size and everything so figured that might be important.
Welcome to SailNet.

Hopefully you'll soon realize that one does not "pop over" quickly in a sailboat doing 5 to 7 knots. Then, figure in the time spent voyage planning and provisioning and all the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider7202 View Post
So basically, what are people seeing for say slip cost?
maintainence?
incidentals related to keeping the boat running?
Living costs compared to an apartment? about the same? more? less?
Fuel? Traveling I know i'll use some... but being a sail boat how bad can it be?
Anything I'm leaving out?
Slip fees depend on location, amount of amenities, location, boat size, location.

Cost of keeping the boat running depends on the condition of the boat, how much you can do yourself vs. paying someone to do the work.

Living costs can range from minimal to extravagant. It depends on what you want.

You're leaving out a lot. I suggest that you start with some books, check out the Living Aboard section of SailNet and also figure out whether you want to live aboard or cruise. There are liveaboards who do not cruise but most cruisers live aboard. There is a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook