SailNet Community - View Single Post - Real Cost
Thread: Real Cost
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013

redrider7202 is on a distinguished road
Re: Real Cost

I've been doing a lot of lurking lately. Anyway, let me clarify a few points brought up. By slow down I mean that in a MPH way... hence the Porsche and the Triumph motorcycle. Unfortunately I've can count the number of times I've been on a sail boat on one hand and have loved it every time. (BTW, anyone in New England need someone to crew?)

By pop over to the Mediterranean, I mean... well... it's pretty and you have the Monaco grand prix (i hope its still there...) so why not sail to go see it? be a cool adventure. And I do plan on being a Liveaboard cruiser. What's the point of living on a sail boat if you don't go anywhere?

I also plan on doing most of the work myself. Generally speaking, if I can't fix it, it can't be fixed... or I'm just lacking some heavy equipment. That skill actually got me my current job. I also have a few friends right now who I could probably con into coming along on trips... or just fixing things. Hell maybe i'll get lucky and find a girl.

I know I have a lot of reading left to do... Heck I don't really know enough yet to really know what it is I don't know. But i'm working on that. I learn fast. Right now looking to see just how much I need to get saved up to make this work. Figure i'd plan on whatever it is now, double it for inflation and add 25%. Cut interest rate in half... Should give me a starting point. Only numbers i've been able to find are "we were able to do this for 1000 a month" so I know you can do things on the cheap, but what about doing it comfortably?

hopefully I can talk my uncle into teaching me to sail. (he has a 41' boat from the the mid 80's that I've been on once... no wind that day though)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook