SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Bob - if he said it the way you said it above, there would be absolutely no problem at all.

The problem is - what you say he says, and what he actually types are two completely different things.

That said, if you want to interpret what he types the way you have - that's fine. It's just that most people don't see it the way you do - regardless of the number of figures in their bank account.

I see he liked your clarification, so maybe everything you said is what he means to say, but just doesn't have the communication skills to do so. That would explain a lot of things.
whew, Bob speaks well for steel but he is forgetting that one could make a car with four inch Armour plate then drive letting others just bounce off but the price paid in energy expended to move all that extra weight is more than most of us wish to bear no matter what our income. Not a matter of what one can afford as what's best for the world and future generations. When I don't fly, boat, I drive a vw Golf TDI, the prius eater, only because I have little desire to squander non renewable resources. The fact is for small craft steel requires just too much energy to move from point a to b. Basic engineering.
I'm sure you engineering types can grasp the concept
That said I love steel boats, they are realistically just not cost effective under 50 feet

Last edited by bfloyd4445; 10-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.