SailNet Community - View Single Post - Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
I hope that I never get so charmed by sailing that I convince myself that I no longer require the tools to protect myself and my family from situations such as this...Bad things do, indeed, happen to good people, and some people here advocate bug spray to counter this type of threat? I can't stop shaking my head and laughing.
I have read much on the web since this happened RE; wasp spray and it's use and legalities in the US.
The only case I can find where wasp spray was used(repeated in several articles, but hey, this is the web, right?) is of someone accosted in his truck and used wasp spray. He was arrested the next day (not likely outside the US), but apparently it instantly sent his attacker to the ground in severe pain. I have no way to get bear repellant sent to the Caribbean (I doubt it can be mailed internationally) but wasp spray IS available in any hardware store.
Until I hear differently, I will consider it viable as a defensive weapon and you can continue "shaking my head and laughing" until you come up with a better option. Hey, how about you spray yourself in the face and let us know the results, ericb760, if you are still laughing, that is.