SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Jrff, one mistake, weigh decreases carrying capacity. A vessel of a given volume will displace x amount of water. any weight added will decrease its carrying capacity or payload. A Tupperware wood AL boat being lighter will have a greater payload than a steel boat of the same size.That's why I stated that under 50 feet steel was more of a liability than asset unless you are a habitual reef banger.
that sai8d I still like steel vessels of any size
I think that you and I are trying to say roughly the same thing. I was saying it in the negative by pointing out that in and of itself, increasing the displacement of a boat does it automatically add to carrying capacity.

You are pointing out in the positive, a heavier boat does not have greater carrying capacity if that added weight is in the form of a heavy hull and deck structure.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay