SailNet Community - View Single Post - Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
. So I suspect the stuff would work on an intruder, but my issue would be how well it worked on the victims too?

So my question would be is that a practical solution for a boat? Brian
Good point.
A sailor needs to use the wind and its a good advantage to have on a sailboat at anchor.

The bow points into the wind, air comes down the forward hatches and out the companionway.

If someone is in the cockpit squirting with gas will go into the cockpit not back into the boat.

Security hatch you can squirt through.

The cylinder you see below here is a gas. Its secured by velcro to the companionway ready to squirt out, downwind.

This gas would fill the cockpit making it untenable to stay there.

Above: The Gang Warefare size Tear Gas in a gell form so it can be sprayed into the wind. The gell was invented for use in nightclubs where Security people can squirt one person but not everyone else. Its range is quite large and would get to the stern of the boat from the secure position locked inside

Above: This small cylinder is in the bedroom and is to squirt upwards through the hatch above into the wind... so its gell..

A sailor must use their brain and when filling the boat with gas (and secured their boat) then have rehearsed their move forward to the most forward compartment (mine is the forward head) where clean air can come in, and there is water and a shower to rinse the stuff out of the eyes, nose and off the skin.

So these thiings need to be thought out, bought properly and planned and rehearsed in their use.

There is one other advantage: Surprise. You know what you have squirted into the face of an attacker. You sill have the power to secure your boat with eyes mostly shut as you know it, he doesn't. You can use your radio with eyes closed. Also you know its tempory, he doesnt.

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 10-08-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook