SailNet Community - View Single Post - Batteries don't stay charged
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Batteries don't stay charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Ah, ok. Thanks for the tip. I bought an inexpensive panel, and it says it has a diode, so I kind of took it for granted that most of them have it. I guess not.

A lot of smaller panels do have them but with the Chinese el-cheapos there are no guarantees. Many larger panels only have bypass diodes which are different from blocking diodes.

From Kyocera:

10. BLOCKING DIODES
Blocking diodes are typically placed between the battery and the PV module output to prevent battery discharge at night. Kyocera modules are made of polycrystalline cells with high electrical “back flow” resistance to nighttime battery discharging. As a result, KYOCERA modules do not contain a blocking diode when shipped from the factory. Most PV charge regulators do have a nighttime disconnect feature, however.

Kyocera assumes you will be using a controller thus only ships with bypass diodes which are not the same as blocking diodes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook