SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Smartphone for Sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Re: Which Smartphone for Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post

I would not "rely" on my phone as a primary tool, it is more or a convience for me. I am in the Puget Sound so the vast majority of my navigation is dead reckoning in waters I am farmilliar with, but it is sure nice having all these tools in my front pocket.
I agree. I primarily use my iPhone (currently) and iPad as a back up to my chart plotter, but I have learned the hard way to use up to date paper charts when going into a harbor or area I'm not comfortable with, since many of the charts for the hand-helds are not accurate enough or not up to date.

Still, it is nice to be able to pull out the phone and check position (GPS function) as well as call up weather reports, radar, and even AIS at times. Plus I use the smartphone for racing rules and apps, and to take photos of certain points on land or lighthouse/buoys for later reference. In an ideal world, I'd buy a smart phone that integrated nicely with a good quality chart plotter..... I'm not sure we're there yet.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook