Thread: Miami to Bimini
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Re: Miami to Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanchis92 View Post
I see many of the concerns are sailing with northernly winds. I understand that wind against the current creates waves, but the forecasts all show less less than 2 feet of wave height and since I'll be sailing in a ESE direction to beat the stream it'll be more or less a beam reach.

Are the waves really that bad or is there something else?
Just curious about your weather sources? Passage Weather is showing wave heights of 2 meters from the NE for Friday into Saturday. Down to 1 meter by 12 UTC on Saturday. Consider that you will probably see more than forecast. I don't see any source calling for waves of 2' or less. It's Tuesday, and we are in Brunswick, Georgia. The wind is blowing stink out of the NE already. After a few days of north winds, it takes time for the Atlantic to settle down. Just don't get your hopes up too high right now. It looks a bit iffy IMO.

From Marine Forecast/Weather Underground-
Gulf Stream Hazards

Seas could build to 6 feet in the Gulf Stream waters of Palm Beach County by Friday. The approximate location of the west wall of the Gulf Stream as of Oct 08, 2013 at 1200 UTC... 7 nautical miles east northeast of Fowey Rocks. 16 nautical miles east of Port Everglades. 14 nautical miles south southeast of Lake Worth. 11 nautical miles north northeast of Jupiter Inlet. This data courtesy of the naval oceanographic office.

Hey, you can always head out and turn back if you don't like what you see. We've all done that, haven't we?

Ralph
Bimini at last! | sailing away with R & B

Last edited by RTB; 10-08-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook