SailNet Community - View Single Post - Batteries don't stay charged
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Batteries don't stay charged

Maybe off topic for the OP's post but while we're all here, Mainesail, maybe you can give me a tiny piece of advice.

I have 280w of solar array working through a charge controller and it all appears to work pretty well. But . . . .

I topped all my batteries up (6 x Trojan T105) about three weeks ago and when I went aboard last weekend, I checked the batteries again and they were all dry (water below the plate tops).

What is puzzling is that my batteries were at a 13.2v state of charge (SoC) when I left the boat 3 weeks ago and everything was turned off. Incoming charge was about 7 amps, reduced due to high SoC. The solar array and a wind gen (also on a charge controller) are wired through the 1-2-All switch which was left in All position. Wind gen was switched off because I didn't believe it needed to be running.

Is this a sign that the batteries are reaching the end of life? They are about 7 years old. Even with a low water level, the battery monitor still showed about 13.5 volts. I topped the batteries up again and then ran everything (fridge, lights, radios) for the whole weekend with no problem, SoC still right up there.

Your advice would be of value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook