SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanded Unmooring from Windward Berth
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, the suggestion to request dockmaster help was not available to me since it was after hours at a small marina. Regarding the suggestion to use a stern spring, I'd tried that but the bow kept blowing me back onto the dock. I also didn't have much room to back up because there was a slip directly dehind me (the dock configuration was like an "L" - I was on the long side and the slip was behind me on the short side).

I think that I like the idea to double up (which I normally do, but from cleat to piling back to the same cleat), leaving a lot of extra line that will buy me time when I back up. I think that the suggestion to be aggressive with the engine and fenders is key to this maneuver.

On the other hand, opening a beer and waiting for the wind to drop at sunset has it's merits too! Of course, with Murphy around, the wind would probably increase and I'd be stuck overnight.

Use of spring lines can be a real advantage, especially to reposition or center a boat when entering a slip in crossing wind, but this situation was kicking my butt due to lack of extra hands, the dock configuration, and wind speed.

Thanks again.