SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interlux Schooner vs. Sikkens Cetol
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Interlux Schooner vs. Sikkens Cetol

Um, you forgot to add the discussion about rebedding - Since I'm going to be redoing the finish on everything, I'm also going to rebed the brightwork. I'm planing on use silicone caulk because everybody says not to buy "marine" versions of stuff since it's just overpriced BS. Although, I've heard good things about something called 5200, and might use that instead.

Back to the original point of the thread...I've used Cetol, and I've done 8-coat varnish finishes. I did Cetol on the hatch boards on my old boat, and varnish on this one. I'm not thrilled with the way the varnish is holding up. Maybe its the brand, and maybe I'm just being rougher with them this year, but the varnish is showing much more wear than the Cetol versions did. I'm also dreading refinishing the varnish. That being said, I think Cetol is easier to apply, especially for someone who is new and might be intimidated by woodwork. I do prefer the look of the varnish, but it's not such a huge difference that I'd steer someone away from Cetol.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook