SailNet Community - View Single Post - repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road
Re: repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
The wires are still more than 10 years old.
I would at least do a thorough rig inspection - it can be done from a bosuns chair with the mast up.
Loosing the mast will cost you much more than fixing it up front..

If it was my boat I would have ripped those mast steps off...
If you decide to keep them with the "anti foul halyard kits" installed you should look at another way to solve the attachment.
Seems a bad idea to drill large holes through the new spreaders.

Where I keep the boat we have a mast crane that can be used by members of the club who have done the training class for mast crane operation.
So for me the cost of taking the mast off/on = 0$

It's not difficult to take the mast down if you have access to a suitable crane.
You can get lots of useful info here http://www.seldenmast.com/_download....=595-540-E.pdf
Most of this applies to all masts even if this is from Selden

As I already said - having the mast come down is even more costly (and dangerous).

If money is an issue I would have considered to make new spreader(s) in wood (if I could get hold of materials at a reasonable cost).

Are you mast keel or deck stepped?

did a rig inspection the other day. cables all look good and passed the cotton ball test. (got that book inspecting the aging sailboat)

The rot is not as bad as I thought and actually one of the bolts was loose. still ordering aluminum spreaders from JSI. They said if I send them the measurements they can make them and I can replace one at a time.

My boat I and I like the mast steps (so does the wife) the cables are going to get redone so they don't touch the spreaders.

very lucky it's free for you to step the mast. NOT FOR ME

Marina wants over $8 a foot one way and I have the tall rig over 40'

not cheap at all.

I will lower it in a year or two (it's deck stepped mast)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook