SailNet Community - View Single Post - Larger Trailerable?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007
Don't panic

Filmsomething is on a distinguished road
Larger Trailerable?

Well let me first start out saying this will be my 5th boat in around 5-6 years. I started on a Sunfish (11'), then a Force 5 (13'), wanted to be able to take more people out so I found a Capri 16.5 on a good price, then I wanted to make the step into an over nighter so my father and I went in on a Precision 21 (he didn't want anything larger at the time).

Which brings me to now, I would like to go larger. Here are my requirements

Trailerable (easily)
I have a Jeep Cherokee that is rated at 5000#/500# tounge weight
Sleep atleast two comfortably
Head
under 4' draft (prefer under 3')
parts easy(er) to find
I DO NOT want a swing keel or water balast
prefer under 15k

The requirements are pretty easy I think, here is what I want to do with the boat. I have been really wanting to go up to Lake Erie and sail around, I also would like to eventually make it to the east coast and to a 7 day trip down it. It would usually be only two if staying over night but it could be as many as 4 on the weekend. I would like the cockpit to be able to seat 4-6 comfortably. Tiller or wheel it doesn't really matter to me. This wont be a racer, just a weekend cruiser. I think what I'm looking for is something 24-28' long. I found several that I like but usually they dont seem to be durable enough for me or they are just way to heavy for me to tow.

I'm looking at getting this at the begining of the summer probably, I'll throw my 21 in the water for a little bit and just pull it when I get rid of it. So throw me some ideas if you have any. I would prefer to stay in the 80's or newer, I don't mind doing work on a boat as long as it's cosmetic. I don't want to have to rip it apart because it leaks though. Electrical and paint are easy things to take care of.

Jon

edit- what if weight wasn't an issue, as long as it sits low on the trailer

Last edited by Filmsomething; 02-06-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook