SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Smartphone for Sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013
Rocket Scientist

Cap'n Russ is on a distinguished road
Re: Which Smartphone for Sailing

I used an HTC Evo 4g for over a year with good results until it died. Replaced it with the Galaxy S3 last November. I like the processor's speed but prefer the HTC user interface. I use Marine Navigator ( purchase version) and am quite happy with it. I've got all the NOAA charts for the Chesapeake Bay in raster form on the phone's micro SD card. Marine Navigator exports and imports .gpx files, so I can pre-plan races or set waypoints on my computer and then move them over or vice-versa. It also has a rouge editor, route follower and track capability but they're a bit cumbersome at times. I have run the phone with all the radios turned off except for the GPS receiver and got over 12 hours of use in the cockpit. I also use Windfinder (free version), Marine Traffic (free), Raindar (free) and Marine Tides (free). I've also got a bookmark to the Annapolis NOAA buoy real-time data page. With all that said, I minimize my phone use whilst at the wheel, I prefer to navigate using my eyes, the compass and shore references. Speaking of compasses, phones and tablets will cause significant deviation in the ship's compass readings.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook