SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

I got some unasked-for time to go sailing starting last week, so I set sail on Friday and motored and drifted and drifted and motored as far as Swan Creek Friday evening. Drifted to Reed Creek Saturday, which was beautiful. Got a lot of chores done on the boat since I was moving so little. After spending the entire morning becalmed, I almost sailed back home Sunday afternoon to avoid what sounded like a day of dismal weather on Monday, but I wouldn't have made it back before dark, and it would have been a beat the whole way, so I just sailed back and forth on the Chester that afternoon. I waited out the bad stuff in Davis Creek near Cacaway Island, then headed home with building winds yesterday, covering the 35 miles home by early afternoon.

It's funny how in one day you can sail in everything from deck-washing wind and chop to nearly glassy calm weather. This is especially true coming off the Bay and going up the Severn - the wind can be blowing like stink out on in the open water, and then nothing but intermittent gusts as soon as you pass the corner at the Naval Academy. All in all, though, I think yesterday may have been the best day I've ever had sailing, it was so perfect coming back up the Severn.

My outboard stopped pumping water on Monday, and then a heron landed on it when I was below decks and took a big crap on it to add insult to injury. I saw and heard so much wildlife during this trip it was almost annoying: honking, squawking, hooting, screeching, splashing, and evening something braying at a nearby farm. No leaf blowers, generators, or traffic rumble.

Oh yeah, meals: 1 can of Chef Boyardee ravioli, one can of lite beef soup, two packets instant microwave macaroni and cheese (don't have a microwave on my boat, so I boiled it on the stove), 1 packet of ramen, some leftover Turkish kofte and vegetables, two apples, four or five granola bars, one pint of mixed nuts and raisins, one beef sausage stretched out over three days, five eggs, two cups of oatmeal, some coffee, and instant cocoa. And popcorn. I lost nearly five pounds.

Last edited by willyd; 11-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook