SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanded Unmooring from Windward Berth
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Good suggestions. I can't really picture the block and 1/4" line setup (not enough caffeine?) but in general, I have very adverse feelings toward trailing lines even if they are from the bow. I've seen too many examples where lines and props have met. In one case a powerboat was sucked into a piling and destroyed the transom. In another case, a destroyer sucked an 8' mooring bouy in the Panama Canal into one of her props and took out a couple of blades (the CO was eventually replaced, but that's another story)

I think that I'll double the bow line and flick it off the cleat (or piling if available). Since I should only have about 10' of doubled line out, it should only take a couple of seconds to get it on the boat .... then I'll hoof it back to the cockpit. One problem that I've had with anything beyond a simple doubling of lines is that on the Chesapeake's ubiquitous wooden pilings, lines frequently snag and the whole operation comes to a screeching halt.

You guys are great... ask question and the responses are considered, well written, and experience-based! Thanks again.