SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Smartphone for Sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Which Smartphone for Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
...I also wonder if Garmin et al don't subtly encourage this thinking... After all, they have single-purpose devices to sell that are being rapidly made obsolete by phones and tablets.
Amen. I was in a rental car and hit the Siri button on my iPhone and asked "where is xxxxx restaurant". I was out of town and recalled going there on a previous trip, but had absolutely no idea where it was. She replies, "there is xxxxx restaurant about 2 miles from you, would you like directions?" I say yes and the phone automatically switches to the Map app and begins to speak turning directions. No typing addresses, I wasn't even sure what town it was in or if I had the name right. What in the world do I need a Garmin for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook