SailNet Community - View Single Post - Frequency of Changing Oil & Fuel Filters
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Frequency of Changing Oil & Fuel Filters

This thread reminds me I need to change the oil in the boat, tractor, 2 trucks and 2 cars. I am due.

In my current 4 cars (between 23 abd 26 years old and having between 160K and 250K miles, and all daily drivers) I use only dino oil. Also use dino oil in the Yanmar boat engine (34 years old). These engines have never had an oil related problem. The engines have never been "opened" up for any internal engine repair. These engines do not drip any oil and no oil seals have ever been replaced.

I'll stay with the dino oil. I change the boat oil twice a year. and the cars between every 6 months and every year depending on miles. Here in Hawaii temperatures are stable year round. When I lived in cold climate I would change the oil every 6 months no matter what the mileage. I think you get a lot more contaminates in the oil when starting and running in cold climates.

The other thing to think about, when changing oil (especially in a boat), a good deal of oil is still left behind. That oil has contaminants in it that will contaminate your new oil. I like having frequent oil changes to get rid of these contaminants.

Last edited by casey1999; 10-09-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook