SailNet Community - View Single Post - repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
did a rig inspection the other day. cables all look good and passed the cotton ball test. (got that book inspecting the aging sailboat)
Good to hear - make sure you inspect all the attachments and he mast tube also

Quote:
The rot is not as bad as I thought and actually one of the bolts was loose. still ordering aluminum spreaders from JSI. They said if I send them the measurements they can make them and I can replace one at a time.
Since the mast is deck stepped it's wise to rig a line as temporary shroud before loosening the shroud.

Quote:
My boat I and I like the mast steps (so does the wife) the cables are going to get redone so they don't touch the spreaders.
As the wires for "anti foul halyard kit" is not structural you could look at terminating the lower wire at the step below the spreader and just start above the spreader again.

Not likely that any halyard can get caught there.

Quote:
very lucky it's free for you to step the mast. NOT FOR ME

Marina wants over $8 a foot one way and I have the tall rig over 40'

not cheap at all.

I will lower it in a year or two (it's deck stepped mast)
Sorry -
I was only trying to say it is possible to take the mast off/on the boat yourself.
But you need a suitable crane and a place to store the mast while working on it.
But if your only option is this one marina..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook