SailNet Community - View Single Post - repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed
View Single Post
  #12  
Old 10-09-2013
dan8152's Avatar
dan8152 dan8152 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
dan8152 is on a distinguished road
Re: repairing wooden spreaders with mast steps installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Dan, just be sure you aren't rationalizing, because you don't have the resources to unstep the mast. A failed rig can kill you and/or your family. It doesn't reconcile that your finger tips sunk in on one inspection, but is not as bad as you thought on the next.

Do you have the skills/tools to refabricate the wooden spreader yourself? It doesn't look all that complicated from the photo. Even if not perfect and pretty, it would be better than convincing yourself it will be okay as is. Should buy you time to get proper new spreaders. If you insist on keeping the steps, lose the anti-wrap wires at first, and reinstall them as you figure out how to keep them from passing through your new spreaders. Worst case, you wrap a halyard once or twice, before you get back to installing the wires. Who cares, you have steps to go unwrap it. For that matter, bungie the halyard head grommet to the boom and keep some light tension on the halyard and you could avoid most wrapping. Plenty of ways to deal with this, without just taking your chances. Good luck.
I guess I should have been more specific when I said it was not as bad. I thought it would break apart at any moment. When I went again I took a wooden pin to push the tip into and probe out the rot. It's only really bad on one edge about 1"x5"(where my fingers sunk into. I could not stick it in any other place. Still not sailing with it like that though. Boat it being lifted out on the 26 and I'm measuring the spreader today. Takes a few weeks to get the new ones so they will be ready for the spring. I was fearing a gust of wind woud take it down but feel a bit better that one of the bolts was also loose and that was making it move, and not the rot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook