SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartering a sailboat in Sicily!
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Chartering a sailboat in Sicily!

Obviously Yachtjuno and myself will not value things the same way. I do know some of the places that he consider very nice, like Siracusa or Amalfi were I have been this year and they are indeed nice even if only Siracusa offers a decent anchorage (I have been on anchor in Amalfi too but it is not really a good anchorage) and I agree with him that Sicily has fantastic food and wine even if one of my absolute preferences in wines is Cananau from Sardinia.

It seems Yachtjuno traveled a lot by car while leaving the boat at the marina and that may be a difference because I did not travel without being by boat and I prefer to have a boat on a nice anchorage and visit a town using the dinghy, maybe that is another difference too.

I would say that Sicily coast is much more densely populated than Corsica or Sardinia coast with many heavily industrialized ports and cities. Certainly Sicily has great towns and villages but it is difficult to find really nice anchorages and unspoiled places.

Maybe some pictures would help to explain what I mean:

Sardinia:

Yes you can take a buoy just in front in the same place Carthaginians and Romans use to anchor.

Corsica

All these photos were taken in July or August. I would say that in Mars you will find all those anchorages almost without boats even if they still offer excellent protection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-09-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook