SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hiring Contractors - Are component/part prices typically higher than online?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Hiring Contractors -RANT

Post like this kinda irk me, I'm sure it must irk other contractors. Why do people that do not have the knowledge or know how to do something; ask for quote then try to beat the contractors in a game that doesn't really exist? Don't hire them if your so good at their job!

Mark up = is what non-contractors think, contractors do. Reality = contractor uses certain suppliers or vendors; spends the time doing the leg work, travel and more. In my case it's at least 20%. even if YOU buy the part! So.. your $99 part that I quoted at a cost of $120 will still cost you at least that much if you buy it.. and if you buy it I WILL NOT eat the labor, shipping, wrong part, and delay costs, caused by you getting the part!

Owner goes online find that part or component.. sees price.. doesn't see the time it takes to pick up, arrange dates for delivery, AND assumes the contractor will install and warrant a part or component they did not obtain.

Things contractors hear all the time... usually 2nd hand,

"Well they did the work, they "owe" me....

"Ha, they are going to rip me off"

"I could do it way cheaper"

Did you see the price of....? They charged me.....$! for the same part!

The the one that really gets me angry.. The owner talks to everyone but me the one they hired!!

Common to this thread.. COMMUNICATION IS CRUCIAL!

if need be I can quote right down to every sheet metal screw required and used on one of my jobs... and put it in a contract I'm sure marine contractors can also.

Bottom line. Most contractors are just trying to make a living! Most do not need to rip off people to make a decent living doing what they do best.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
bljones (10-10-2013)