SailNet Community - View Single Post - Experience Using Gortex Thread & Sunbrella?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Small world Geoff...We had our present enclosure made at Ships Tailor and specified Gortex after our last bimini had to be re-done with Gortex after 2 years in the Bahamas with regular thread.
I have no idea what was used in terms of techniques but we used regular sunbrella and the present system has held up quite well with no leaks whatsoever for 3 years. Maybe the needle size on your last one was the problem. I think the fabric wicks in moisture a bit as if you press on it during a heavy rain from underneath, you get a wet spot, but that is not due to stitching or thread. We've had several bimini's/dodgers and enclosures built by ST over 22 years in Deltaville and have always found the work to be both excellent and expensive...but whenever we've had a minor problem, they have been quick to remedy it. I'd say talk to one of the guys there about your concerns and I'll bet the resulting job turns out fine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook