SailNet Community - View Single Post - SHARKS
Thread: SHARKS
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2002

sanuni is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

I agree that the risk is small (except for the poor bastard who was eaten), but I do not buy into the shallow water bit. Why do people rob banks…that is where the money is. Why do sharks attack people in shallow water…that is where the people are.

Last year I saw a gory video of a marine biology student loose her leg while swimming with 6-7 others next to two boats some 20 miles off the coast (I believe it was Argentina). She may have survived and the actual attack took only one pass, about 2 seconds, but it was messy and she will never be the same.

This fall, while in Spain, the evening news was showing a “herd” of Great Whites feeding on the carcass of a dead whale (tour boats where bringing people in to see the sight and some idiot actually was videoed walking on the carcass while 10+ sharks thrashed about pulling chunks off the dead whale... it was a very big whale... apparently the man had no difficulty getting back on board and was unhurt. The news was questioning whether he should be arrested for his stupidity).

Last, people who actually fish for shark rarely do so in “shallow water.” How many Great Whites have been caught from the beach?

Again, it is unlikely, but I wouldn’t say it is nearly impossible.

PS- Thanks for the tip, but I am having trouble keeping the suitcases on deck :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook