SailNet Community - View Single Post - Real Cost
Thread: Real Cost
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Real Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider7202 View Post
You can get a 1999 Porsche 911 for around the cost of a Civic, do the work myself, assuming I don't run into the dreaded IMS failure and take out the engine it shouldn't be to bad to run. But yes, I do tend to have expensive taste. I also grew up making 5 an hour working for my dad in a manufacturing plant (he owned it) busting my ass so I tend to be... frugal. A lot of finance calculators will say I can afford around 50% to twice what I actually could bring myself to do when it comes to buying a house or car.

As for the 401k, i'm doing the max my company will match, and then more then that again personally.
While the initial investment is low on the 911, it is actually just like a boat. The cost of the boat/car is just the start. Oil change on a 911 will cost several times what one would cost on a Civic. You start off with a filter that is 25.00 + 15 in seals and crush rings + 9 qts of synthetic ($100) (and you don't want to use off the shelf for either) total of $140 vs $6.00 and 4 qts of dino oil total of $20. And that is just oil change. Every expense on the Porsche is going to be several time more. Not that I would want anyone I know in a civic. There are much better cars out there, and if you want to go fast look into a WRX.

Same issue with a boat sure they aren't that expensive to get into, but are expensive to maintain correctly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook