SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Snubbers Redux
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Mantus hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I just ordered one, as it seems like the least likely to fall off and doesn't require a moving part, like the wichard.

I'm going to make a winter project to make a custom bridle. I'm going to dust off my old three strand splicing skills (been a long time) and make a long bridle that will go over the bow roller, down about 4 feet and back to the center of the foredeck. Then I'm going to splice in two legs, one to each side cleat, with a spliced eye to lay over each cleat. It will require some measuring, as the roller is not centered. Theoretically, I would only have to attach the hook fore of the windlass and lay the two eyes over the cleats, let out enough chain to take up the bridle and done. We'll see.

Something to do over the winter. If it isn't fantastic, I'm going back to the rolling hitch.
Update.

My Mantus hook just arrived. We have 1/2" chain and the hook for it is HUGE! 8 inches x 5 inches. That's not fully bad, but I am now wondering if it will go through and over the bow roller. I will have to measure.

My real concern is for the galvanizing. I didn't want stainless, as it should be weaker. That may have been a mistake. It appears the casting wasn't perfect, so someone hit it with a grinder. With it all bright and new, I can't really tell if the galvanizing was ground off or not. If it was, it will rust instantly. Further, its very clear that the galvanizing didn't take well to the raised lettering on the hook.

Given all the compliments this company has been given, I was surprised at the poor quality so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook