SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Snubbers Redux
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Mantus hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Update.

My Mantus hook just arrived. We have 1/2" chain and the hook for it is HUGE! 8 inches x 5 inches. That's not fully bad, but I am now wondering if it will go through and over the bow roller. I will have to measure.

My real concern is for the galvanizing. I didn't want stainless, as it should be weaker. That may have been a mistake. It appears the casting wasn't perfect, so someone hit it with a grinder. With it all bright and new, I can't really tell if the galvanizing was ground off or not. If it was, it will rust instantly. Further, its very clear that the galvanizing didn't take well to the raised lettering on the hook.

Given all the compliments this company has been given, I was surprised at the poor quality so far.
Doesn't sound too good.

Based on the discussion on this group, I also ordered the Mantus Hook but in stainless (I am not too concerned about breaking strength for a snubber). I ordered this a week ago. They seem to take their sweet time about it: I ordered it on Amazon a week ago and it is still listed as 'being prepared for shipping.' Not a problem, I am snowed with work and can't go sailing this week or next but usually stuff ordered through Amazon is shipped within a day or two.

I will let you guys know how it looks like when it gets here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook