SailNet Community - View Single Post - Almost!
Thread: Almost!
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Almost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
But, you ultimately did decide to share?

I recall you had queried a lot of contractual input along the way. What kind of document did you ultimately use? At one point, I think you were set on using an attorney, which I hope you didn't find necessary. Suspect not, since you didn't mention returning legal fees.

What the new boat budget?
We took the broker contract, removed all the broker stuff and agreed on a few modifications. No attorneys. It was pretty basic but covered us both to a point. I did add that if the owner backed out we'd be reimbursed for our costs, though I never expected that to actually happen.

When the owner asked to be let out of the contract, I immediately thought "no way!" But this silly thought entered my brain. The sale has to be something both want or it will be a bad omen. Told you it was silly. But it goes back to when my dad bought his boat and immediately changed the name. I heard over and over, "You can't change a boat's name or bad luck will follow." Several months later the boat was sitting on the bottom of the Chicago River. But really, I knew I would never feel right about forcing the guy to sell. So I let it go. Maybe along the line we gained some friends.

And yes, I did share this experience here. But I was pretty rattled. I think I was just looking for a shoulder to cry on. That boat took my breath away!